• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

On Tuesday I am interviewing for a full time position at a local TV station. I was recommended to the studio for the position through my mentor who is passing on the job for upcoming seasons. The steadicam experience I have comes from independent features and commercials, not so much TV. What are the major differences can I expect? Being tethered being the first big one I would imagine. I do have some experience being on a radio and communicating with a technical director and other operators from shooting live corporate meetings and such.

They will be using HD cameras (will find out the model on tuesday). For a rig, they have plans to buy a rig of their own. (which models they are looking into I will find out on tuesday) They are currently working with my mentor to decide which one to purchase. For upcoming rehearsals, I will be renting a rig from my mentor that I am fairly familiar with.

Any and all advise is welcome!

#2 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 145 posts
  • Florida

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

I am assuming this is the Golf Channel. If your mentor was working for them he should have all the answers for you. Best of Luck!

#3 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

haha, let us know how it goes...John, it sounds like you were contacted for this too?

#4 Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

Every day I find that everyone is connected more than I realize. I guess gone are the days of making relatively anonymous forum posts. Someone around here always knows whats going on! That being said I love the steadicam forum community!

#5 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 145 posts
  • Florida

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

I was contacted when they were wanting to use Steadi on Golf Fix. Didn't want to pay proper rate. AM was the 3rd person and they stuck with him for the show. Where's the loyalty, no they want to hire a staff person to take his place. It's a cold cruel world in a micro market like O-town.

JA

#6 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

Last I talked to him, they had been asking him for referals. He said something like "I'm recommending them my replacement, so it might as well be someone I like."

There's no way they could pay even half rate on a full time basis (well they could, but the higher ups might be upset that the Steadi op is making more than them). The freelance market is fun and rewarding, but sometimes the security of a 9-5 is good too..

Give me a buzz when you have a free evening and we'll grab a drink. I just moved into the market not 3 weeks ago..

Mike

#7 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

On Tuesday I am interviewing for a full time position at a local TV station. I was recommended to the studio for the position through my mentor who is passing on the job for upcoming seasons. The steadicam experience I have comes from independent features and commercials, not so much TV. What are the major differences can I expect? Being tethered being the first big one I would imagine. I do have some experience being on a radio and communicating with a technical director and other operators from shooting live corporate meetings and such.

They will be using HD cameras (will find out the model on tuesday). For a rig, they have plans to buy a rig of their own. (which models they are looking into I will find out on tuesday) They are currently working with my mentor to decide which one to purchase. For upcoming rehearsals, I will be renting a rig from my mentor that I am fairly familiar with.

Any and all advise is welcome!

When I shoot for our local fox and cw affiliates, they use me as a human tripod for two hours at a time while only calling for a handful of shots. Most tv station's directors have no idea how to direct a steadicam op.

Get yourself some really thin HD cables to breakout their heavier cables. One for vid and one for sync. Try and ask for a wireless headset, so it will be one less cable to worry about. Make sure they get zoom and focus controls or else you'll be stuck in wide all the time.

Best of luck!

#8 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

I've even had commercial directors use me as a human tripod on occasion. It's slightly confining and annoyingly uncreative, but at the end of the day, at least the paycheck is the same.

#9 Paul Gardner

Paul Gardner

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

Every day I find that everyone is connected more than I realize. I guess gone are the days of making relatively anonymous forum posts. Someone around here always knows whats going on! That being said I love the steadicam forum community!

Mike...what happened with that interview?

#10 Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

No word on what they've decided. Last I heard they "can't make up their mind". So I have no idea what they will do. Concerns me a little with them being this indecisive. I'm optimistic, in my hopes for the job so we'll see how things turn out.

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

BOXX

IDX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Teradek

Boland Communications