• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Laura Whipple

Laura Whipple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

Im trying to mount a slide plate for my two-camera stereo rig onto the pilot, however since the steadicam was made for a single locked in camera, im not sure whether it would be better to have it perpendicular to the bottom of the sled or parallel. The cameras will be adjusted equidistantly along the slideplate, so theres that to take into consideration too. Any ideas?

#2 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Europe

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:00 AM

Have a look here:

Chris

#3 Laura Whipple

Laura Whipple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

That doesnt really answer my question. Naturally one would want to put the slide bar perpendicular to the base since thats how a normal camera would sit, but i am hoping someone with a better understanding of steadicams can explain which alignment would be more in line with the principle behind the pilots balance.

#4 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 384 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:24 PM

That doesnt really answer my question. Naturally one would want to put the slide bar perpendicular to the base since thats how a normal camera would sit, but i am hoping someone with a better understanding of steadicams can explain which alignment would be more in line with the principle behind the pilots balance.

To the Steadicam, the weight on top of the rig is just that - a weight. The sled doesn't care whether the weight is long, or wide, or tall. So long as it's balanced left-to-right and front-to-back, and the gimbal is placed appropriately, it'll make no difference whether it's 1 or 2 cameras. The Steadicam should stay configured as-is for proper operating though. It seems like it would be almost impossible to operate the rig properly at your side if the bottom of the sled was pointing from left to right. Also, seeing the monitor seems like it would get quite a bit more difficult.

#5 Laura Whipple

Laura Whipple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

I guess that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

SkyDreams

BOXX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Boland Communications