• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas Natteau

Nicholas Natteau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:23 AM

I've tried to apply the settings recommended by many for properly balancing the Panasonic GH1 (with stock lens) on my Steadicam Merlin, but I'm still having a swinging problem.

Screw position: hole M,
Forward weight: 1 mid, 1 finish
Lower weight weight: 2 mid, 1 finish

Arc size = 27cm

Stage Mark = -2

Z = -4

I don;t understand how others are able to balance the merlin so well that they move their arm up and down and side to side or forward and backwards fast and the Merlin stays perfectly level.

I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

Is there any tutorial video on this web site for properly balancing the GH1 on the Steadicam Merlin?

I already viewed the tutorial video DVD disk included with the Steadicam Merlin, but still haven't succeeded at getting perfect balancing.

#2 D-Sand

D-Sand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

I've tried to apply the settings recommended by many for properly balancing the Panasonic GH1 (with stock lens) on my Steadicam Merlin, but I'm still having a swinging problem.

Screw position: hole M,
Forward weight: 1 mid, 1 finish
Lower weight weight: 2 mid, 1 finish

Arc size = 27cm

Stage Mark = -2

Z = -4

I don;t understand how others are able to balance the merlin so well that they move their arm up and down and side to side or forward and backwards fast and the Merlin stays perfectly level.

I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

Is there any tutorial video on this web site for properly balancing the GH1 on the Steadicam Merlin?

I already viewed the tutorial video DVD disk included with the Steadicam Merlin, but still haven't succeeded at getting perfect balancing.

#3 D-Sand

D-Sand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

This cookbook recipe is wrong and should be removed-- way too much bottom heaviness for the GH-1. According to Garrette, the pendulum effect is due to too much bottom heaviness.

I'm in the process of setting up my Merlin right now. So far, I've found a greater arc (about +3/4) and less weights (1 start, 1 mid bottom, 1 start front) to be better for slight bottom heaviness (adjusting the "Z" to control the drop speed) although I'm having a heck of a time trimming the GH-1's fore-aft, left-right balance.

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

Teradek

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

SkyDreams

BOXX

Engineered Cinema Solutions

IDX