#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Reading, UK

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:57 AM

Hi Guys,

Quite an exciting evening for me. I got offered my first 35mm job today! :)

The thing is, it's a low budget shoot so I think Panavision UK are helping them out with a camera package. And if I go by my experience with Panavsion Woodland Hills I imagine that Panavision over here in the UK will give this production a Panastar, which as I recall is a bit of a beast. I own a G-50 arm, so I'm thinking that even if the production were to get the Panaflex light-weight It would still be too heavy to fly on My Archer 2S with my G-50 arm. Can anyone shed any light on the sort of weight I'm going to be looking at flying? From the biggest package Panavision offer to the lightest...

I also do not own the cable to power a Pana camera from my sled. What cable would I need?

I hope someone can help me out.

Cheers

Jamie McIntyre

#2 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:21 PM

Dear Jamie,

Good lad, your first 35mm job.

Primarily don't worry about powering the camera for now just run the cable. The cable is pretty flexible. Panavision are nightmares because they are so inconsistent with their cable plugs. You will spend hundreds of pounds over the next few years on Panavision cables for their various cameras and still you'll turn up on a Panavision job and have to carry a cable off your sled. So for your first job I would probably not worry about trying to get the cable in time. Remember the camera is likely to be pretty heavy overcoming any cable issues. It is better to power the camera yourself but you'll have to do some proper investigations as to exactly what socket is there.

Turning over, you can turn over just before the shot if you like. Its a bit better than having an AC prod the camera and knocking you off spirits. Although you'll be asking for a radio follow focus of some kind and if the AC wants he'll be able to turn over using that. Make sure you check about the follow focus.

With regards to your g50 I am not so sure. I would definitely try and find out what camera you are getting. I did a Panavision low budget short the other day and I have a Platinum which, surprisingly, maxed out my g70. Ask for a 235.... otherwise you'll be able to hire an arm in. Plenty of people rent them I am sure. You could try Mk-V or another local operator. You'll end up paying around 50 quid a day.

Also it should be noted that Panavision are incredibly friendly when you go in. They are like an institution there to help you out. Get down there and test!

Feel free to call me if you need any advice. 07970 025 389

#3 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

Panavision are nightmares because they are so inconsistent with their cable plugs. You will spend hundreds of pounds over the next few years on Panavision cables for their various cameras and still you'll turn up on a Panavision job and have to carry a cable off your sled.

Simply not true at all.

Presently there are three plugs used on panavision's for power. A 3 pin hermaphrodite used on the gold, plat and millennium, the 2 pin "ZLP" used on all other panavision film cameras and the 8 pin "Genesis" power cable used on the HD gear.

Panavision's cornerstone of their "SYSTEM" is commonality of parts.

#4 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

If you ask the right person I am sure you can find someone at Panavision to make you a power cable.

~Jess

Ritter Battery

Engineered Cinema Solutions

IDX

SkyDreams

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Teradek

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX