4 replies to this topic

#1 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

Looking to throw a gold mount plate on the Camos I just got. If I wire it up directly can it handle the power of an anton bauer battery hot off the charger?

Also any opinions on if I should go with an anton bauer plate or smaller batteries? Have lots of AB batts so thats best for me and I have never had anyone complain about me using them on a directors monitor but sony or panasonic batteries would definitely be lighter. Any opinions?

~Jess

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

I have the Camos with Sony M battery plate and the handles. I would think that a bare Camos (no handles) would work better with the smaller battery, less awkward to hold. With the handles, it could probably go either way. Runs a good long time on the extended battery. It wasn't a hassle for me to add those into the inventory as I already use that style (smaller capacity) batts on the Preston, so the chargers were on my charger station to begin with.

I sort of like keeping the director's monitor autonomous from my rig in all ways. Those monitors are always getting put down in weird places so I'm probably happier with a $60 battery instead of a $400 one being on the back.

There are compelling arguments on both sides of the coin.

#3 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

I have mine in the same configuration as Charles but I also have it set up as a backup program monitor (albeit a large one) on my sled for live shows. Either David Hable or Terry West made a power cable to run it directly off my sled from the lower housing Hirose so I don't deal with the little batteries in a live show.

Robert

#4 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

I had David Hable put a little Canadian magic into my monitor. I opted for V-Mount because it makes batteries interchangeable across the rest of my equipment. Plus, I forsee using this monitor on my sled as a program monitor during live shows, so a couple Hirose connectors for that. My Coss Transmitter uses UHF channel 15, so the internal tuner handles that just fine. I also have a backup unit on a higher frequency, so the Hirose connectors allow me to velcro a 3rd party Rx unit on the back of it all.

Every director that's used it so far is just fascinated with it. Oddly enough, they all made the comment about a neck strap and a waist strap so they could just rest it against their guts :huh:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:31 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I should add that the monitor comes from the factory with 1/8" jacks for A/V in and A/V out. The D-Tap will provide power when a battery is mounted but will power the unit without battery. So I could have gotten away without the Hirose connectors (but they're so pretty)..

Edited by Mike Germond, 18 November 2009 - 10:34 PM.

Teradek

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

BOXX

rebotnix Technologies

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems