#1 Niels Lindelien

Niels Lindelien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Culver City

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hello all,

I apologize for the newb questions. I have done as much research as I think is possible and I still am dumbfounded by some aspects of batteries. Maybe I am somehow missing something.

The only batteries I can find available for sale are around 14 or 15v. Am I correct to assume that these are "12v", but are initially a higher voltage so that as they discharge through 1 cycle they maintain at least 12v?

In a 12/24v switchable sled, is the 24v created by placing two 12v batteries in series, thus requiring me to place two batteries on the sled when operating a 24v camera? Also, since the 12v batteries are actually as much as 14.8v, won't an initial potential of nearly 30v negatively affect the camera in some way?

Am I correct in thinking (for example) that a battery rated at 14v and 140Wh would theoretically power a camera drawing 10 amps for 1 hour, or a camera drawing 2 amps for 5 hours?

How does framerate affect the power consumption of the camera?

Any help on all or just one of these questions, or even a point in the right direction for more research would be most appreciated.

Thank you all.

#2 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

Niels -

lots of questions. Go to Anton Bauer's website and read about batteries - it's a good place to start.

Li-ions are 14.8V, and yes, it's good to have excess voltage from the nominal rating. 2x Li-ions hot off the charger in series are actually around 32 volts, which is okay for a 24 volt camera, IF the camera's internal regulator can handle it. Generally the higher the voltage, the more efficient the regulator.

Most modern 24 v cameras are okay with 2x Li-Ion batts in series; their internal regulators (which are set to 22 volts or so in order to run off a nominal 24 volts), are fine with the overvoltage.

140 watt hours should mean that a 14 V battery can take a one amp drain for 10 hours. It tends to get much less efficient the higher the amp draw.

Hello all,

I apologize for the newb questions. I have done as much research as I think is possible and I still am dumbfounded by some aspects of batteries. Maybe I am somehow missing something.

The only batteries I can find available for sale are around 14 or 15v. Am I correct to assume that these are "12v", but are initially a higher voltage so that as they discharge through 1 cycle they maintain at least 12v?

In a 12/24v switchable sled, is the 24v created by placing two 12v batteries in series, thus requiring me to place two batteries on the sled when operating a 24v camera? Also, since the 12v batteries are actually as much as 14.8v, won't an initial potential of nearly 30v negatively affect the camera in some way?

Am I correct in thinking (for example) that a battery rated at 14v and 140Wh would theoretically power a camera drawing 10 amps for 1 hour, or a camera drawing 2 amps for 5 hours?

How does framerate affect the power consumption of the camera?

Any help on all or just one of these questions, or even a point in the right direction for more research would be most appreciated.

Thank you all.

Teradek

GPI Pro Systems

SkyDreams

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

IDX