I took the plunge and bought a Merlin with an arm and vest, after experimenting with DIY stabilizers, including buying a Calicocam, stabilizer buiilt in Italy. I even modified the gimbal with u-joints and bearings, but after a couple of years of frustrations, I've decided I've had enough. The Merlin solved all my problems, and because of my experience experimenting with DIY and Calicocam stabilizers, I was able to pick up the Merlin and do some decent shots. I shot a wedding last Sunday, and there is a lot to be learned from the experience. I can balance my Merlin from scratch being unbalanced in about 5 minutes, and balancing the Merlin on the arm is also easily done. I will need a lot of pratice for sure, but with the arm and vest, I can shoot all day with this outfit. Here is a sample clip of my rig.
MERLIN ARM AND VEST AND CANON XH-A1
No replies to this topic