11 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

I have now seen two instances of my footage appearing on people's "camera operator" reels!

Scenario- got hired for day play, next thing I know, my steadicam footage shows up on the A camera guy's reel?! WTF

Has anyone had this happen to them and how do you handle it? Besides the good ole fashion beat down.

#2 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

I have now seen two instances of my footage appearing on people's "camera operator" reels!

Scenario- got hired for day play, next thing I know, my steadicam footage shows up on the A camera guy's reel?! WTF

Has anyone had this happen to them and how do you handle it? Besides the good ole fashion beat down.

lol, yes, ive had that happen before. i generally figure who cares. if they couldnt put their reel together without stealing a shot, how good can they possibly be? i just re-edited and i started off with 58 minutes of footage on the time line that i cut down to 3 and change.

as a counter point, i have worked on a movie or two that i shared the work with several steadicam operators. when i finally got the footage (when the dvd came out) i couldn't remember for shure which shots were mine, especially ones that were shot at the same location i worked but by a different operator....... i just skipped the whole movie as i wasn't 100% sure.

#3 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

You mean, your shot specifically edited, or was it just part of a scene?

#4 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

Yes, my shots edited in sequence not cut in with others. Almost as if the camera op wanted to say he did the steadicam.

Mike, you are probably right. I shouldn't let it get to me. I figure if there are some shots in his reel that are mine, than I'm sure he's no stranger to ripping others off too. It will all be sorted out some day when a director asks him to do a steadicam shot, like on his reel.

#5 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:21 AM

Happened to me also. Some young camera dude used 2 or 3 shots done by me !
It was a low budget sport coverage of triathlon.. i have chased the athletes at 80% speed with the Flyer
which brought us sensational shots ! I never worked before with him, in fact never since.

I asked him to remove the shots, he refused as it was a cooperation between several camera operators including me. A so called TEAM effort
to make something beautiful for almost nothing (money wise)

Still have to kick his ass when i will physical meet him again ! :angry:

Erik

#6 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:11 AM

It's not right and you should send him a polite email but also remember that showreels are often edited years after the fact and I genuinely can not remember which shots I did in some films I really can't. So forgive him and ask him to remove it.

I like to include whole sequences in my showreels. But this often includes handheld stuff you may not have shot. I figure a DoP watching the reel knows that its your "steadicam" reel so he knows that the handheld stuff is not yours. In megamix's its not acceptable to do this but when you are wanting to show a commercial, drama sequence or promo in its entirety I feel its ok, what do you think. What is NOT acceptable is showing entire sequences where a dolly got near the set but a bit of handheld here or there..... it can only make your steadicam operating look bad if its mistaken as such.

#7 Emre Tufekci

Emre Tufekci

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:27 AM

"I'm Brian and so is my wife." :rolleyes:

Yeah, you shouldnt let it go. Even if you have no contact, bussines or even if you are not in the same market with these guys.

#8 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:39 AM

This stuff can haunt you forever. I shot an opening sequence for a feature probably 14 years ago which was all Steadicam day exterior. I put it on my reel, right after the title card "Charles Papert--Steadicam". The DP contacted me and complained that he wanted to put it on his reel and it was confusing and looked like I was trying to steal his work. Baffling, considering my reel was specifically Steadicam and I had a separate DP reel (without that footage, of course). It would seem that this character then went around and spread the word that I was stealing other people's work, and as recently as a couple of years ago I heard something back about this.

The funny part is that when he later applied to Local 600 as a DP, he apparently included some material on his reel that had actually been shot by one of the DP's who were screening the submissions. Guess who didn't get his card as a result.

#9 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

Charles, that is sweet justice. I'm sure not getting that card taught him a lesson. Hopefully.

Sounds like this happens to lots of us. Sequences are one thing, but clip reels with 4 or 5 steadicam shots in a row? Come on. It's a compliment and an insult at the same time I guess.

I think I may send a polite email to the two recent instances of my work on someone's reel. I just don't have it in me to let it slide.

#10 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

Yes, my shots edited in sequence not cut in with others. Almost as if the camera op wanted to say he did the steadicam.

To me, that's much more serious. If it was just a scene with a couple of my shots in it, I'd probably let it slide, but that's a direct, specific use of shots. I take this sort of thing seriously, as it happens to me all the time, only once with Steadicam work, though. The most blatant one is a video on Youtube I found... The guy somehow got hold of footage I shot, put his logo on it, edited it in a way to make the subjects look bad, and of course took all the credit for it. I asked him where he got the footage... He lived in Poland, of all places. Youtube still hasn't removed it

#11 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

An operator that I replaced on a mini-series used footage that I shot on his reel, The studio had him remove it when he tried to sue them for wrongful termination

It happens all the time I fear

#12 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

In megamix's its not acceptable to do this but when you are wanting to show a commercial, drama sequence or promo in its entirety I feel its ok, what do you think. What is NOT acceptable is showing entire sequences where a dolly got near the set but a bit of handheld here or there..... it can only make your steadicam operating look bad if its mistaken as such.

There is definitely a fine line between mixing your own demo and showing a spot or scene in its entirety. I would never let someone else's footage sneak into my demo reels. It's all about the context..

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

SkyDreams

Ritter Battery

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Engineered Cinema Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX