#1 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

I'm currently working with the Genesis (in pana-log) / SSR-1.

The NTSC output of the SSR-1 is very low contrast, low voltage, low saturation and sometimes has a pulsating black level change.

Anybody else has that experience?

Jens

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

It's been nearly a year and a half since I used the SSR's but I had no problems with the SD output back then. All of your mags are showing this issue, Jens? Weird.

#3 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

It's been nearly a year and a half since I used the SSR's but I had no problems with the SD output back then. All of your mags are showing this issue, Jens? Weird.

I should add that I'm viewing the image on my color LCD (Blackbird)

I've used two and they both were similar. when I used my redbyte and the camera hd-sdi output the signal got little bit better.

from the genesis FAQ:

"As noted above, the Panalog transfer curve changes the Genesis output signal to obtain maximum
latitude. This extended range will not display properly on a video monitor: the image may appear
overexposed, low contrast and/or desaturated."

could this be related?

#4 Chris Konash

Chris Konash

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 111 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

The Genesis and SSR output a log video signal which on your steadicam monitor will appear to have compressed highlights and low contrast. The adjustments to the SD output that can be made are aspect ratio, format, black level setup.
A gamma corrected output is not available onboard of the Genesis or SSR.

The GDP (Gamma Display Processor) is designed to be used with DP or Director monitors. It offers a color corrected HD output in real time. It is a stand alone box that does not down convert to SD and is only AC powerable.

If you are having a pulsating black level I would definitely do some more investigation. I have not heard of any problems like the one you speak of with the SSR's.
Give you're local Panavision office a call, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help out. If you still have any more questions feel free to give me a call at Panavision NY.

Chris Konash

#5 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

thanks, i will try to connect a waveform monitor and see what that shows. The colors bars should still be normal on the SSR SD output?

#6 Chris Konash

Chris Konash

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 111 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

Yes, depending on how the cameras bars are set they should be the normal 75%, 100% or SMPTE bars.

#7 Matt Petrosky

Matt Petrosky

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 190 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:16 PM

Maybe a quick fix is to fly the GADC (Genesis Advanced Down Converter) on the top mag port and use that SD output. I've always had good results from the GADC and fly it any configuration: SRW, SSR, and Fiber. It's light, requires no cabling, and has virtually no latency.

Keep us posted.

-Matt

#8 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

i think it's really more the fact that we are shooting Pana-log and that the PRO sled doesn't have a video DA, so that the weak video signal is getting even weaker by being used up by two consumers, monitor and transmitter...

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Teradek

Omnishot Systems

BOXX

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions