#1 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1624 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hi All,

L.A. turned officially HD this year ( NCIS, CSI, Criminial Minds,...). Who of you guys are using HD video transmitters and which ones?

What systems are on the market and are steadicam usable?

IDX, Transvideo, Boxx, Nucomm, ...

#2 RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

we are using the camwave/wevi on dollhouse. No cables (just brain cancer). It seems to be working pretty well as long as care is taken to keep the antennas as close as possible. Wish my rig was an hd rig so I could mount it at the bottom.

#3 Iain Baird

Iain Baird

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 266 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

I bought a Cam~Wave this year after convincing the series I was on to rent both SSR's as well as pay me rental on the transmitter. Lucky for me they are doing both. It's great to be free of the cables at last but I can't say that the Cam~wave is perfect. It's very good but tends to cause the HD video assist guys grief as there are some frame drop outs that give the HD recorders fits. The DP has no complaints because he can't see the dropped frames but because of the way the video assist is daisy chained from DP to HD Video Assist to DIRECTOR, the director looses picture whenever Video Assist does. We have found a work around by using Final Cut Pro to record Steadicam shots as you can set Final Cut Pro to ignore dropped frames and continue recording regardless. Obviously the master recording is going onto the SSR's but the directors are now in the habit of taking home the Video Assist hard drives at the end of the night to watch dailies that it's important that the steadicam takes are recorded by video assist as well.

As far as transmission quality, as long as the receiver and transmitter are within range it's generally perfect, the unit tends to perform better in empty sets than whenever we have tons of extras, lot's of bodies seem to reduce transmission strength. It has a few quirks that come up from time to time, for example fast starts tend to -glitch- the picture, as well as getting too close to the receiver will cause -glitching-.

All in all I like it and never want to go back to the cabled world again so I'll take the slight problems and hopefully some sort of diversity system will be released soon that can help with the quality issues.

#4 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1624 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

Is anybody using the BOXX Meridian system....? How does it compare?

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

Camera Motion Research

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies