#1 Bud Kremp S.O.C.

Bud Kremp S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 80 posts
  • Burbank, CA

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

Hi All,

Just sitting here in a coffee house with too much time on my hands, enjoying perusing SteadicamFourm. I saw that I was "member number 590". It made me wonder how many full time Steadicam Op's there were out there? I can remember knowing all 15 of their names back in the 80's!! lol

Anybody wanna venture a guess (or know the answer-ish?)

Cheers & caffine!
Bud Kremp

#2 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

Hi All,

Just sitting here in a coffee house with too much time on my hands, enjoying perusing SteadicamFourm. I saw that I was "member number 590". It made me wonder how many full time Steadicam Op's there were out there? I can remember knowing all 15 of their names back in the 80's!! lol

Cheers & caffine!
Bud Kremp

State side or world wide?

#3 Lukas Franz

Lukas Franz

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Well, in Switzerland we're only around 20 professional working steadi ops. That's the only thing I know and I'm happy about that ;-)

#4 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in Ooltewah Tn.

=)

I think you'd have a much harder time classifying an operator. If you own a merlin are you an op? Does it have to be a full size rig? Full time or part time, union or non-union... etc.

I would guess fullsize operators, full time, 6,492. -- worldwide. (it's a half joke, half serious guess kinda thing)

#5 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

Bud,

For what its worth, many of the users registered here are false numbers meaning the count includes all the non-real name users over the years/spammers/etc. The SOA has 263 ops listed worldwide on their web site, but that is obviously only a sample.

#6 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

By full time, I'd say your talking about operators that dont work as any thing but a camera operator, steadicam operator or possibly a DP/operator. So it wouldn't count if you have a part time job as a bag boy at Ralphs.

In South Florida (West Palm beach to Key West) there are, as far as I know, four of us that make a living doing nothing but Steadicam. As far as I know, there are another two or three from Palm Beach north.

I can think of about ten states other than NY and Califonia that would have a hand full of full time steadicam operators, so lets say 50 in the US out side of NY and Cali.

I'd be curious to know too.

How many in NY (like a dozen?)??? Cali has like what, a few hundred??? Maybe a total of a thousand or so in the USA???

#7 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

I am 100% camera and steadicam here in Denver.

(Ralphs wouldn't hire me when I was in LA. True story)

#8 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hi everyone
As for across Australia there would be 20 professional working steadi ops and 4 or 5 in tv stations .
Louis Puli

#9 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

Alan is in Denver too.

#10 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

Alan is in Denver too.

Absolutely. But I didn't want to speak for him as I'm not sure what his status or job is.

#11 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

Hi All,

Cheers & caffine!
Bud Kremp

Good ones?

#12 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hi All,

Cheers & caffine!
Bud Kremp

Good ones?

LOL I like that

#13 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

Hi All,

Cheers & caffine!
Bud Kremp

Good ones?

What truly astonishes me as I teach workshops around the world is the number of great - in all senses of the word - great - operators I meet. Everywhere there is wonderful work, the ops are inventive, have marvelous control - and they are "unknown" and "unsung" (to the rest of the world, anyway) but make their living with this marvelous machine.

So that 6K number isn't so far off, IMHO.

Jerry

#14 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hi All,

Cheers & caffine!
Bud Kremp

Good ones?

What truly astonishes me as I teach workshops around the world is the number of great - in all senses of the word - great - operators I meet. Everywhere there is wonderful work, the ops are inventive, have marvelous control - and they are "unknown" and "unsung" (to the rest of the world, anyway) but make their living with this marvelous machine.

So that 6K number isn't so far off, IMHO.

Jerry

Hi Teacher!!!.
I promise to you, that I´m practicing and trying to be able to get steadicam op...

For me... To be steadicam op is a way of life. You fall in love with a "machine" that never will can dominate it...
Some times, only some times...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: "the machine" loves you, and then...You can feel happy and the lord of universe...
It´s my romantic view about.
Thanks

#15 Tomas Riuka

Tomas Riuka

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 236 posts
  • Vilnius

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

I imagine steadicam-ops.com does not list quite a number of operators...

In Lithuania there are 4-5 more or less who are able to do quality work, but none of them
is listed...

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers