22 replies to this topic

#1 TerryWest

TerryWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 76 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:48 PM

I have the Modulus 5000 HiDef Transmitter in my shop now. Got it today. I want to test it this weekend.
First impressions: Seems to work well. It is a bit larger. Been running a couple hours and gets warm, but not hot. I need to put it on a Steadicam with a Red camera or some other HD camera to test it properly.
I am supplying (in lieu of a real HD signal) an up-converted Composite video to HD and the modulus picks it up pretty well. Still handles Composite video. They got rid of the dual channel switches to a push button type of channel selection. It handles NTSC and PAL.
I am not sure of the pricing yet, but it should be around $2500.
But I want to give a good test first.

#2 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

Terry, what do you have in mind for a rx?

Dave "

#3 TerryWest

TerryWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 76 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

Dave "

I am receiving it at the moment on a Mod Quad with a Sony Tuner. I do not have a good HiDef monitor either. Maybe I am receiving on a Mod Quad due to the fact that I am using a up-converted signal instead of a real HD signal. But I have been able to supply this type of signal to HD monitors and lock in the signal. But until I try a real HD?????

#4 TerryWest

TerryWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 76 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

Dave "

I am receiving it at the moment on a Mod Quad with a Sony Tuner. I do not have a good HiDef monitor either. Maybe I am receiving on a Mod Quad due to the fact that I am using a up-converted signal instead of a real HD signal. But I have been able to supply this type of signal to HD monitors and lock in the signal. But until I try a real HD?????

#5 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Dave "

waitting for "good" news..... Thanks for this post dude.

#6 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:43 AM

I am on a shoot in Long Beach on Saturday and Sunday with the F900R. Should be possible to test it out on set if you want to bring it by.

~Jess

#7 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

Terry, are you saying it will accept a HDSDI signal and transmit it in standard def or will it transmit HD to some kind of receiver?

#8 TerryWest

TerryWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 76 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

Terry, are you saying it will accept a HDSDI signal and transmit it in standard def or will it transmit HD to some kind of receiver?

Supplying the answers as I get them. Just talked to Peter. The 5000 will take in a HiDef signal and convert it to either 4:3 or 16:9 (depending on your recever / monitor combination) and can be used with a standard monitor. I am using a Sony monitor with a Mod Quad. If you email me at techrat@earthlink.net I will send you a PDF of its specs.

#9 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Supplying the answers as I get them. Just talked to Peter. The 5000 will take in a HiDef signal and convert it to either 4:3 or 16:9 (depending on your recever / monitor combination) and can be used with a standard monitor. I am using a Sony monitor with a Mod Quad. If you email me at techrat@earthlink.net I will send you a PDF of its specs.

Terry none of that makes sense, HDSDI is a data stream, are you saying that it has a downconverter in it and it outputs a NTSC Signal?

#10 TerryWest

TerryWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 76 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

Terry none of that makes sense, HDSDI is a data stream, are you saying that it has a downconverter in it and it outputs a NTSC Signal?

Yes. it puts out a NTSC/PAL signal. 16:9 or 4:3 Letterbox or cropped. Is there a way I can post a PDF on the forum? The model I have is not the final configuration. CIT is wanting to get some feedback before they make a production run.

#11 TerryWest

TerryWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 76 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

Yes. it puts out a NTSC/PAL signal. 16:9 or 4:3 Letterbox or cropped. Is there a way I can post a PDF on the forum? The model I have is not the final configuration. CIT is wanting to get some feedback before they make a production run.

Eric, I seemed to have a problem getting your email through my spam blocker. Could you resend it?

#12 Peter Milanov

Peter Milanov

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 90 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

So, basicly, it´s a downconverter and analog transmitter in one?

#13 TerryWest

TerryWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 76 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Basically that is what it is.

#14 TerryWest

TerryWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 76 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

Basically that is what it is.

#15 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

I have that already, it's called Decimator/Canatrans :-)

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

SkyDreams