#1 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:29 AM

Hey folks.

My sled took a spill today (at home, no camera or me attached thankfully) and landed full-force onto the side-to-side of my PRO dbox 1, splitting the red delrin type worm drive in two. Yikes. The bolt is still intact, but the worm drive itself is useless. Is this catastrophic? Can this be repaired? I know GPI hasn't had these parts around for years, but do I have any other options out there? I can't afford a new (or even a used db2) donkey box right now and I'm really about to start crying.

Somebody please, please, please have some good news for a bruthah...

Dave "not a lot of steadicammin to be done without a topstage" Baldwin

#2 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:34 AM

I guess what I'm getting at is the worm drive needs to be replaced, it appears to be beyond repair itself. Any help getting started down this path would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone.
Dave

#3 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

David,

You can try Rig Engineering in Australia as I seem to think they did rebuild DB1s at one time, but I have no idea if they still do.

Good luck!

#4 nick franco

nick franco

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • San Fernando, CA

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Get in touch with Tom Gleason, he does some custom machine work and may be able to help you.
http://www.cinewidgets.com/

#5 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

David;

File an insurance claim.

Pay your deductible and get a new DB!

Just because they don't make your DB anymore is not an issue. It was damage to your rig, that's what you say. You say the new part costs . . . and they buy it.

Hope this helps.

Janice

#6 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

David;

File an insurance claim.

Pay your deductible and get a new DB!

Just because they don't make your DB anymore is not an issue. It was damage to your rig, that's what you say. You say the new part costs . . . and they buy it.

Hope this helps.

Janice

#7 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

Thanks, Nick, Alex and Janice.

I called Tom this morning, he's going to take a look at it tomorrow and see if there's anything he can do.

Alex, I love the guys at Steadyrig. In fact I I love the whole continent of Australia. It's the best place I've ever visited. (Byron Bay, anyone?) Sometimes I try out my piss-poor Australian accent when I'm on the phone with Hugo. I'm not sure if he appreciates it, but it's a lot of fun for me! Depending on what Tom says, I may give steadyrig a call. I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Janice, my insurance is a pretty non-comprehensive one added to homeowners that only covers in the event of theft, fire and vandalism. It's pretty cheap and I only really have it in case my junk is ripped-off. I've been paying for small repairs here and there with cash. I know that this is not a feasible long-term policy.

Let's hope it's something Tom can tackle for me.

Keep your gear safe and warm everyone.

Dave

#8 Carter Raff

Carter Raff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Where are you located? I build custom camera stabilizer equipment. Can you post a pic of the damage. Work's slow so I can give you a good deal.

Thanks, Nick, Alex and Janice.

I called Tom this morning, he's going to take a look at it tomorrow and see if there's anything he can do.

Alex, I love the guys at Steadyrig. In fact I I love the whole continent of Australia. It's the best place I've ever visited. (Byron Bay, anyone?) Sometimes I try out my piss-poor Australian accent when I'm on the phone with Hugo. I'm not sure if he appreciates it, but it's a lot of fun for me! Depending on what Tom says, I may give steadyrig a call. I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Janice, my insurance is a pretty non-comprehensive one added to homeowners that only covers in the event of theft, fire and vandalism. It's pretty cheap and I only really have it in case my junk is ripped-off. I've been paying for small repairs here and there with cash. I know that this is not a feasible long-term policy.

Let's hope it's something Tom can tackle for me.

Keep your gear safe and warm everyone.

Dave

#9 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

"Eric is correct about the parts issue. I used to own a DB1 on my old rig. The worm gears for the X / Y controls are nylon. I had one strip out, and luckily I had a spare. When I contact GPI to order a new spare, George told me he could no longer get the nylon worm gears, and this was years ago.

Bottom line is, if the worm gear strips, your DB1 becomes useless. Something to think about before you buy one.
"

This from Mark Karavite on a years-old thread.

Now I'm really starting to panic.

Dave

#10 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:23 AM

I would think that a machinist who knows what they are doing should be able to make one on a lathe. Could be wrong and it might not be terribly cheap but I wouldn't panic just yet.

~Jess

#11 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:26 AM

I would think that a machinist who knows what they are doing should be able to make one on a lathe. Could be wrong and it might not be terribly cheap but I wouldn't panic just yet.

He would be making it on a mill

#12 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts
  • Adrenochrome, New Zealand

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:59 AM

If I remember rightly Hugo's topstage has a delrin worm drive so he would probably be the ideal person to look at yours.

Cheers,

Marty

#13 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

For some reason I was picturing a worm shaft which would most likely be cut on a lathe but it does make far more sense that the gear would be made out of nylon and it very well could be made on a a mill. If not using CNC a lathe would still most likely be in order for atleast a few pieces of the process. I obviously haven't seen the mechanics of this particular piece. None of this of course changes what I was saying. It can be made so don't worry too much, alteast until you have more information.

~Jess

#14 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

For some reason I was picturing a worm shaft which would most likely be cut on a lathe but it does make far more sense that the gear would be made out of nylon and it very well could be made on a a mill. If not using CNC a lathe would still most likely be in order for atleast a few pieces of the process. I obviously haven't seen the mechanics of this particular piece. None of this of course changes what I was saying. It can be made so don't worry too much, alteast until you have more information.

~Jess

The part that broke on the Dbox1 was a Tercite block that the stainless steel worm gear actuated, not a nylon worm shaft

#15 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

Exactly, Eric. The turcite block. Thanks for all the leads everyone. I dropped the dbox off at Tom Gleason's and he's pretty confident that he can work it out. He's so crazy he's actually looking forward to the project as "'a technical challenge". Rock on, my brother!

Dave "Tom, how 'bout making two of those things" Baldwin

Varizoom Follow Focus

Teradek

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

IDX

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech