#1 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

I'm learning Quickbooks.

Some of my clients I give discounts to, but I want to list my full rate so that they know what they are getting.

Right now I just have a line for Steadicam op, then a line for Steadicam Op Discount. Then the same with gear rental and other things.

The thing is, it isn't as elegant as I'd hope for it to be.

How do you guys do it?

#2 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

I'm learning Quickbooks.

Some of my clients I give discounts to, but I want to list my full rate so that they know what they are getting.

Right now I just have a line for Steadicam op, then a line for Steadicam Op Discount. Then the same with gear rental and other things.

How do you guys do it?

Hi Bryan!... Hard question about. But now I´m reading your post with Anita (my girl friend), and she said me about: Elegance is not faced with the bussiness... They are friends.
Your way to do it, for me is a good way... Discounts for clients who wants your services for long time or for big rates. Of course, ops who rent your gears for big works, they pay on time and are carefully with the sled...
The client, must know what is the rate and what´s the discount...This is the way... To me is right, but the problem is how to do. Easy for me:

----Steadican service for xxxxx:
1_ Operator+sled..................1.200€...................discount X%......................xxxx€
2_Follow focus....................... 200€........................................................... No charged
3_video wireless.................... 150€............................................................ No charged
4_Antlers.............................. 100€............................................................ No charged
5_H-D/NTSC converter........... 120€............................................................ No charged
........ Etcc....

This is an example.....
Like you know, every client is a world of problems, satisfactions.... any way, my friend, is your choice, but, answering your question, for me isn´t impolite to put at the bill, your real rate and the discount...
Best regards

#3 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

I'm learning Quickbooks.

How do you guys do it?

Hi Bryan!... Hard question about. But now I´m reading your post with Anita (my girl friend), and she said me about: Elegance is not faced with the bussiness... They are friends.
Your way to do it, for me is a good way... Discounts for clients who wants your services for long time or for big rates. Of course, ops who rent your gears for big works, they pay on time and are carefully with the sled...
The client, must know what is the rate and what´s the discount...This is the way... To me is right, but the problem is how to do. Easy for me:

----Steadican service for xxxxx:
1_ Operator+sled..................1.200€...................discount X%......................xxxx€
2_Follow focus....................... 200€........................................................... No charged

This is an example.....
Like you know, every client is a world of problems, satisfactions.... any way, my friend, is your choice, but, answering your question, for me isn´t impolite to put at the bill, your real rate and the discount...
Best regards

...Excuse me. Anita, my girlfriend, who made me the advice about your question. (She´s Make-up leader crew, and she´ve 2 Films with "Goya" spanish awrard)..., and ..have a braind/mind, free.
Her advice...Trust in her....
One beer you have to paid me....The place..Whatever you want!!!!, But you´ve to pay the beerssss!!!

Be happy :P

#4 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

Brian,

In QuickBooks Pro, I subtotal (if multiple lines for rentals gear) and then use the "Rate Disc" off the full rate. This then keeps track for taxes as 'returns and allowances' for tax deductions

After seeing Amando's method, I'm looking into itemizing out the kit and applying a 'Kit Rate Disc' so they can see the ala cart prices too.

-Alfeo

#5 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

Brian,

In QuickBooks Pro, I subtotal (if multiple lines for rentals gear) and then use the "Rate Disc" off the full rate. This then keeps track for taxes as 'returns and allowances' for tax deductions

After seeing Amando's method, I'm looking into itemizing out the kit and applying a 'Kit Rate Disc' so they can see the ala cart prices too.

-Alfeo

Hi Alfeo.
I think it´s important that the producer or the client knows all profits workinkg with you. One of this are the discounts or (small) free rates. But it´s important they know all gadgets or materials you add for the work....and for marketing or bussines (I can´t found now the correct word) it´s polite they know it.
Best regards

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

IDX

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC