Photo

Vertical displacement (footage uploaded) help please !!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nelson o reis

nelson o reis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

So today I took my friends son to capture  some footage to upload  so I can show you guys how I operate and maybe you guys can help with the answer  to my biggest downfall in operating or so I think ...

I know the footage  lacks some horizons and framing is a bit off cause I was mostly paying attention to the vertical  displacement  a.k.a footsteps.

I've searched in here for the answer for this problem and I've tried a bunch of things  like loosen  the springs etc but its always there  . Especially when the lense is in between  2 static  places .

I did the tip toe test and I guess it failed as I lift  the sled also lifts . I know what the problem is but don't know how to correct it .

At this point  I'm not sure if I have a failure  in the arm or is just practice  practice practice...

my question  is if the arm fails the tip toe test what can I do ?

Technical  info on the shot .

Steadicam  zephr
Bmpc4k setup ( 10lb )
Arm Springs  with low tension
Drop time 3 secs
Fairly  balanced on static  and dynamic

Also the shot was improvised the first  digger was real  the second one  was on purpose .😉

I know some of you will tell me to take a workshop but unfortunately  in my area ( Boston MA) it's very difficult  to come by .

I would appreciate  any feedback that you have and please be harsh ... it's the  point of me  going out today to capture this footage..

Thank you in advance :)

#2 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 918 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:53 AM

There are some things to improve, like headroom and level and more acute operating when he passes by the camera, but otherwise not so bad. If you feel that you see to much up-down movement, that often comes from a too tight grip on the rig, maybe in combination with a slightly forward falling rig which forces you to hold on and correct with every step. Try to loosen your grip on the gimbal, use the other hand to gently lift or push down. And walk as if you have a coin between your buttocks... keep it tight and stable in that area, is my experience.

#3 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

I can't give you any advice as I'm a total newbie myself but thats a cool little scene and aside from seeming a bit crooked for a second here and there I liked it.

#4 Lisa Sene

Lisa Sene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

Hi Nelson,

I'm in the Boston area and can teach you some basics - I sent you a PM. 

Lisa

#5 Chris Van Campen

Chris Van Campen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Try adding a weight plate up top. The Zephyr arm is going to fly a lot better if you've got it loaded up.

Doesn't have to be maxed or anything, but up in the top 1/3 of its capacity seems to work for me.

If you haven't yet picked up the Operator's Manual, it's a great instructive read:

https://www.amazon.c...rators handbook

Good luck!

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

IDX

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research

VidOvation

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions